Apply for New Media Trip to Mozambique by MIDNIGHT Tonight!
The International Reporting Project (IRP) is pleased to announce a new media reporting trip to Mozambique from October 24 to November 6, 2014. Applications are now being accepted.
This group trip is open only to applications from new media journalists, including media professionals, bloggers, coders, designers, influential social media practitioners and freelance contributors, who are citizens of the following nations: Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Japan, South Africa, United Kingdom and United States.
The focus of the trip will be on immunizations and child health in Mozambique, particularly in light of the upcoming decisions to be made by the global community on replenishing the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (GAVI) as it begins a new cycle for 2016 to 2020. GAVI is on track to immunize fully 243 million children in 73 countries by the end of 2015.
In 2001, Mozambique became the first African country to receive GAVI's initial offering of immunizations against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and hepatitis B. In the years since, it has continued to pioneer new initiatives, including delivery of the HPV vaccine and participating in a malaria vaccine trial. However, challenges remain, especially in rural communities where health care delivery is still difficult.
At a time when many countries are examining their use of GAVI funds for immunization and their own commitments to funding worldwide immunization efforts, the case of Mozambique presents a unique window to many of the issues being discussed in global forums.
The IRP trip will look at immunization efforts in Mozambique in the larger context of maternal and child health, nutrition, women’s empowerment, governance and access to health care in rural and remote areas. Participants in the trip will meet with key government leaders, representatives of nongovernmental organizations, members of the business community, religious and media leaders and others.
All candidates must complete an application form and provide a detailed essay of at least 800 words describing the types of stories they might pursue during the Mozambique trip.
The IRP will purchase the Fellows’ roundtrip air tickets to Mozambique and will pay for visas, hotel costs, many meals and local transportation. Fellows who wish to extend their stay after the fellowship will have the option to arrange that at their own expense.
Participants will be expected to post frequent stories – including blog posts, infographics, interative elements, slideshows, social media posts, video and audio clips – before, during and after the trip. All Fellows on the Mozambique trip are required to participate in the sessions arranged for the group program. Some independent reporting time will be included in the schedule.
All of the stories will be republished on the IRP site and co-owned by the Fellow (or her/his distribution partners, depending on arrangements) and the IRP. In addition, the work produced as a result of the trip may be posted, with permission of the Fellow, on the social media channels of the IRP funders. This trip is supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Read our frequently asked questions and apply for the Mozambique trip by midnight (EST) on September 2, 2014!
More from this Reporter
- Apply Now for Reporting Fellowships on HIV and TB Conferences
- Meet the 2016 Fellows
- Meet the IRP Fellows to Southern Africa
- Apply for Reporting Trip to Southern Africa by February 16
- Meet Our 2014 Health and Development Fellows
- Meet the New Media Fellows to Mozambique
- Meet the 2014 IRP Religion Reporting Fellows
- New Media Trip to Ghana
- Meet the New Media Fellows Traveling to Ethiopia
- Apply Now for Religion Reporting Fellowships
- Apply for New Media Trip on Newborn Health in Ethiopia by MIDNIGHT Tonight
- Meet the New Media Fellows Traveling to Brazil
- Reporting Trip on Development in Brazil
- Meet the New Media Journalists to Tanzania
- Meet the 2013 U.S. Fellows in Global Religion Reporting
- Meet the Kazakhstan Trip Fellows
- Apply for Reporting Trip on Poverty, Hunger and Food Security in Tanzania by August 2!
- Ten New Media Journalists Selected to Report on Global Health in Zambia
- U.S. Journalists: Apply for IRP Reporting Trip to Kazakhstan by MIDNIGHT Tonight!
- Apply Now for IRP’s U.S. Religion Fellowships